Chopped up mushrooms, a block of Maasdam cheese and a generous wedge of Stilton blue make up the filling in this home made Ravioli. No meat is used, but the cheese and mushroom impart such a richness and meatiness to this dish.
The steps are; make the pasta, make the filling, assemble the ravioli and cook them. Cook the tomato sauce and serve.
Please see this post for instructions on making your own pasta.
For the filling:
- chop up 250g of mushrooms
- shred a one inch cube of Maasdam cheese
- chop up about the same amount of Stilton blue. (adjust for your own taste here) Just about any other cheese you fancy will do if you don't like blue cheese.
- mix together and lay on the pasta sheets.
Assemble the Ravioli by brushing the pasta with water and folding the pasta sheets into half lengthwise. Push out as much air as possible. Cut in between each packet of filling to make squares.
For the sauce:
- one can of tomatoes
- some mixed herbs ( thyme, rosemary)
- a couple of anchovies
- diced garlic
- a splash of worcestershire sauce
- a splash of tabasco sauce
- a squirt of ketchup
Heat up a pan with some olive oil and fry the garlic. Dissolve the anchovies in the hot oil. Dice up the tomatoes and add them into the pan with the worcestershire, tabasco sauce and ketchup. Put on a low simmer for 15 minutes, adding water if necessary.
Serve with a handful of rocket, and topped with parmesan shavings.